I have been feeling overwhelmed lately about all the things that I am putting on the back burner as I continue in survival mode...but today I feel grateful to have made a step in the direction to help SC. She is a ball of fire...so independent and wanting to be like her sisters. Since she was a little over a year, I have not been her primary caregiver (except in the summers) because of being an elementary school teacher. This distance has convinced me that she was fine. I finally realized that she is not.
SC has a speech issue. For those of you who have heard her talk, I am sure you know what I mean. There are many letters and letter combinations that she cannot articulate, including many in her own name. Today she saw a professional, certified speech pathologist (while I was at school teaching...thanks to my mom for taking her), who diagnosed her to be in the 4th percentile for her age group. Only 3 children out of 100 her age have worse articulation than she does. That hit me like a ton of bricks. My heart aches for her and this obstacle she has to overcome. She is very driven when she wants to be and I pray that she will do this fiercely, with all her strength.
SC's main goal is to entertain our family and make us laugh...even when she is trying to be serious. I love her giggles and beautiful (sly) smiles. When you cannot hear her, PLEASE figure out what she is doing...her nickname is Trouble. She reminds us of Jack Sparrow when she runs, because it is never straight, nor smooth. She has so much to say and soon will have the tools she needs to help others understand her. I love this girl!
3 comments:
Wow, SC looks so grown-up. I'm glad that she'll be able to get some help to learn to speak more clearly. It is a shock when you realize you have a child that is incredibly behind. I'm sure she'll do great and be talking non-stop in no time.
Funny enough Michelle, she talks ALL the time...it's just not clear. I know that it will be okay. We all know that patience is NOT my forte.
It's so nice to 'hear' from you - I keep getting updates on you guys from my mom, and it sounds like you're getting settled - you've had an awful lot of crazy over the past year or two!! SC is just beautiful, and such a sweetheart - I'm excited to chat with her next time I see you guys! :)
Post a Comment