Saturday, November 19, 2011

More speech

SC has progressing well with her speech pathologist. Her first week she was supposed to work on one word, to show her that success can be fun. I thought this was slow, but now a couple of weeks later, I understand the principle. She began with "nice". It took practice, but she was very proud to show Miss L that she could do it. The next week she worked on end "s" sounds, like kiss, fence, horse, goose, ice, lace, etc. She did well when prompted to say these words, but in practical use (in a sentence that doesn't end with those words) she still drops the "s" sound. Which brings us to this week, when she will be working on that...ending "s" sounds in the middle of sentences. Her confidence has already begun to increase and that makes her so much happier.

On another note, ST had a well-child check-up this week and is thriving, despite her cold. ST is in the 75th percentile for weight and head circumference, but 95th percentile for length. She seems to be following SVs trend in growth, so we have another girl who will be taller than her mom. Oh well. There was an issue at the appointment in that the doctor is concerned about her speech. Good thing I know a speech pathologist that I enjoy working with. ST doesn't say any words at all. She has sounds that she makes for specific things, but not complete words. Her latest is the short "o" sound for hot. Positive note, she understands most of what we are saying, so her comprehension is on track. Thank goodness for baby sign language too...that alleviates most of the communication issues so far.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

how old were your girls when you started teaching them baby sign? I want to do it with ellery.

Sarah said...

Honestly, with each child it was different. SD started early...as soon as she was on cereal. SV didn't take to it very well. SC was interested until she was over 2, and that was exasperating. With ST, I would say about 10 months, but more intense recently. We always started out with easy ones like milk, eat, and more. Signing Time is a great way, but the songs get stuck in your head. LOL!

Angela said...

I'm happy to know there is progress and that she is happier!