Tuesday, September 11, 2007

6 years ago today...

I was sitting in a way too early morning Physics class at BYU. I hate to admit it was 9 something mountain standard time when I began to hear the news of what was happening on the other side of our country. I am lucky to admit that I knew no one directly affected by the series of tragic events, but that doesn't make the feelings that I had then any less important. I felt a pit in my stomach imagining what it would have been like to have been there or have loved ones involved.

Now, 6 years later, as I reflect on events now, I realize that there are things I feel the need to write down. I am grateful to be in this promised land of the free that was established by God-respecting men who took a stand for their beliefs. I am thankful for the members of my family who have served in the Armed Forces in the past, who serve now, and who will serve one day. They deserve our respect and gratitude as they fight to protect our freedoms. I know that my Father in Heaven blesses and watches over our troops. When I sing the national anthem or hear the songs that represent each branch of our military, tears cloud over my eyes. I am proud to be an AMERICAN!

7 comments:

Dave said...

I love you Sarah.

Ashley Canady said...

Hey Sarah! I just came across your blog from someone elses. Cute pictures. You'll have to check out ours. I love blogging. It's a great way to keep in touch.

Graydon Stoner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristy Stoner said...

You took the words out of my mouth. It's interesting to hear everyone's where were they on 9-11. (especially from those in NY) I was at home alone and my sister was flying out of NYC that morning. (working on Delta) Thankfully she left way earlier and was in Hawaii by the time it happened. I then had to go to work at Wingers where all the TV's played reruns ALL DAY! It was a bad day.

Misty said...

enjoyed your thoughts. It made me think back at what/where I was. I was working at a dr.s office and driving to work and just in shock. I get to work, go straight to my computer, trying to get updates, anything. Patients were coming in demanding to be seen and my attitude was like "go take a tylenol and go to bed. Our country has just been attacked. what are you thinking?" Not the best attitude to have...but I blame on shock, worry, confusion, etc...

Krista said...

hey!
i just found your blog! your girls are soooo cute!

robyncreates said...

I was at home and KP called me and asked if I had heard and told me to turn the tv on. Then Ryan called or I called him-I can't remember-he was at work. Ryan had just joined the national guard a few months earlier. People kept making comments to him after that about how scared or unsure he must be now about joining and he was all the more sure and happy to have joined.