I cannot believe that it has been long enough for me to have a high school reunion. The festivities are officially over, but I am still in TX until tomorrow night. It's been a whirlwind since things started with the super-crowded Homecoming football game on Friday night, followed by a hopping party at a pub & grill...then on Saturday night, the party was at a nice club on the 69th floor of a super tall green outlined building downtown.
Things have changed a lot since I was in high school...the football stadium is bigger (they expanded it recently), with less parking (nightmare practically, until a friend saved the parking spot next to hers...thank you P!), more police officers, more rowdy students, the marching band is still pretty good (but the flag corps as I knew it is no more...they aren't as traditional or classy...no offense, but that was what made my high school flag corps unique), the drill team did okay...I really think that they were much better way back when I was there though, cheerleaders weren't as loud or peppy (but still pretty), the football team lost...wait, that's still the same (c: , most of the people I know have kids now...whoa!
The after football game party was little weird...imagine being almost 6 months pregnant, walking into a smoky bar where the majority of the people were drinking alcoholic beverages. I haven't been into a place like that for many, many years. On the upside, it was great to be there finding out what old friends had been up to for these last years. I was very happy that my brother married a gal from my graduating class and that she convinced (not quite dragged) him to come, so I also had someone else to talk to that made things a little easier.
Saturday night was lower key for a while, but we arrived early in the evening. The buffet food was fantastic...it even had a full cheese tray complete with brie...too bad I couldn't have the brie because of baby. There were more people there than the night before and we all spent time reminiscing of the old days. The girls looked a lot the same, but the guys seemed to have changed quite a bit. We voted for different categories like least changed girl/guy, who traveled the farthest (one girl came from China), most children (the gal who won this has 2 stepchildren and 2 of her own, did that count?...I know others who have 3 or like me are expecting #3), most unusual occupation (zoo-keeper), married longest (I won this one and received a prize of a small bottle of champagne, which I gave away promptly to a gal who would actually drink it), etc. All in all, it was a night to remember. Some sweet gals asked for marriage advice, which I don't know if it will help them, but it sure helped me...take time to get to know each other well before kids because it will help during the hard times when those little ones come along AND treat each other how you would want to be treated. I can't claim credit for those words, but I can't remember who spoke them to me (actually I think it was my mother and my mother-in-law respectively). I do now really wish that my hubby had been there with me...maybe for my next one.
I'll have to post pictures later after I get home.
6 comments:
so you got the award for longest married, i got the award for the most kids, funny. it is neat to go back and see everyone, sounds like you had a pretty good time.
I am bummed I missed it. Maybe I will go to the twenty year one. I guess I wouldn't have gotten any award though. Jeremy got an award when he graduated from Chiropractic college. He was in school for 36 months and I was pregnant for 22 of them. We are NUTZ!
Hey, it is Krista from byu geology. I found you blog on Teagan's....do you mind if i put a link to yours on my blog...then it is easier to check in and see what you guys are up to! Your girls are soooo cute!
Krista
At least you had a reunion!! My class never did one, and I would have loved to go.
I can't believe you were here and didn't stop in to see me!!! GRRRR... Mine is in 2 weeks for Pearce. However, we are just going to the football game on Friday night. I just can't imagine paying $150 to sit around and watch people get drunk, which was just like Andy's last year. So - if there's anyone from the football game i really want to see the next night, we might reconsider but I have nothing to wear! :)
Hey Sarah, I miss hearing from you and your family. Let us see some more pictures! :)
Post a Comment